Monday, August 13, 2007

Girls

For my return journey from Chengannur, I buy a ticket for Kerala Express. Dash to a nearby bar and imbibe just enough vodka to make me sober. Catch the train with just minutes to spare.

Surprise. It’s full of girls.

One sits opposite to me. Young, dark, petite, in a pinkish salwar. She is perspiring slightly, making her burnished skin glow. After a while, she puts her feet on my seat, close to my leg. When the train quivers, her toes rub the fabric of my pants.

Good.

Another college girl is sitting by my side. She talks a lot, with her friend. About software mostly. Peppers her conversation with English words. Whisks her hair from side to side. I can smell her sweat, her perfume, and that indefinable, stimulating odour that women have.

I sit quietly. I close my eyes and dream.

2 comments:

ShEkHaR said...

Sunil,..
Where is that bar in Chengannur?

Meenakshi said...

HEHEHE....

All Time Favourite Books

  • Dracula (Bram Stoker)
  • Sophie's Choice (William Styron)
  • Portnoy's Complaint (Philip Roth)
  • Rabbit at Rest (John Updike)
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice (James M Cain)
  • A Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway)
  • Herzog (Saul Bellow)
  • Ham on Rye (Charles Bukowski)
  • The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)
  • The Secret History (Donna Tartt)