Saturday, August 04, 2007

Puberty

First, she tells me to unbutton my shirt.

Take it off, she says.

She looks at my naked torso intently.

Her eyes glance over my wild thatch of chest hair, forlorn nipples, protruding ribs.

She gets up and comes near.

Cups my chin in her hand and twists my face for a better view.

Then she run her fingers through the rough hair on my head, probing for something.

Her fingers play a cool concerto on my skin.

Satisfied, she prescribes a dosage of antibiotics, Clindamycin gel and Vitamin E capsules.

I am 15 years old. I have discovered acne and dermatologists.

No comments:

All Time Favourite Books

  • Dracula (Bram Stoker)
  • Sophie's Choice (William Styron)
  • Portnoy's Complaint (Philip Roth)
  • Rabbit at Rest (John Updike)
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice (James M Cain)
  • A Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway)
  • Herzog (Saul Bellow)
  • Ham on Rye (Charles Bukowski)
  • The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)
  • The Secret History (Donna Tartt)